Since I started lifting weights I started to be more interested in being more efficient in muscle building. One of the numerous ways to maximize muscle gains/fat loss and overall manliness is to increase your testosterone levels. Ideally this needs to be done naturally, not using illegal or borderline illegal ways (like anabolic steroids).
I did a lot of bing’ing for a while and I came up with my own personal list of things to do to increase testosterone levels. Now, there’s no easy way of determine your testosterone level so this can be considered a bunch of crap until proven otherwise:
- Decrease your stress levels. Stress increases your cortisol levels and decreases your testosterone. This is a hard one to do in this day and age. People will argue “nothing can stress you unless you allow it” but I consider this approach to put on more stress because It blames you for your stress. There’s nobody to blame here. Stress is your organism’s natural reaction. There’s nothing you can do about it except for trying to minimize its effects. There was something I read once on a can of Talking Rain: “As in life, chill for best results.”. That’s exactly what you should do: chill. You know the idiom lots of people like to swing around like “the demasculinization of the american man”? Yeah.. stress is one of the things that causes this.
- Get rid of the excess fat. A full blown vicious circle. Testosterone helps you lose weight faster but excess weight makes your testosterone levels go down. Not much advice to give out here as the answer is simple: find the perfect balance between eating less and moving more.
- Have more sex or get aroused more often. Giggdy!!
- Lift heavy. Lift heavy weights and do compound exercises. Get rid of biceps curls as a primary exercise, stick to the pullups, etc.. Nothing makes you feel more manly than a hardcore workout. And then you get out of the gym and face the world and everything comes back to normal.
- Get the normal amount of Zinc. They say that a Zinc deficiency will decrease testosterone levels.
- Eat like a man. That is, get your share of animal protein and fats. Don’t ever starve (to achieve 2) as your body will think the big hunger is coming so it will naturally decrease testosterone as you don’t need to reproduce to survive. Don’t eat soy as they say it helps the ladies, not the gents. I have the following rule of thumb: if it doesn’t comes from something that used to walk around and eat then go eat something that used to walk around and eat. To get the good types of fat (monounsaturated) go eat nuts. Actually, if you eat nuts and meat for breakfast you will lose fat as this will keep your blood sugar levels constant until lunch. And BTW, don’t be scared of cholesterol. Only diet and health freaks are scared of cholesterol. A big, muscular dude that eats good fiber shouldn’t care too much about cholesterol. Also, in terms of eating what food eats, go for cruciferous veggies (peppers, cabbage, broccoli).
- Don’t smoke, don’t drink.